Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Virtual vs. Furry (a pet story)

Mimi, my virtual pet at Nintendogs

I love pets. I loved my pet cats (We had generations of cats. I had eight at one time when I was a child and all are adopted!). I loved my pet dogs (Punky, Brewster, Tagpi, Bogart, Buruguduy, Blackie, Brownie, Ligaw, Pipoy). I love raising them, feeding them and giving them a bath every Saturday morning. I learned to live with them and care for them. I know each and every personality of my pets. Some of them even lived together as faithful house dogs and house cats. But as of today, we have no pets at all (mice, spider and lizards don 't count). My mom has a "sari-sari store" and obvious "pets are not allowed" because though they are eager customers, they never pay in cash (only in frolic and fun).

So, I consoled myself with playing for my brother's Nintendogs (Nintendo, thank you so much! The game is lovable with a lovable soundtrack!). I chose a pet puppy whose breed is new to me. Labradors and German shepherds look appealing enough but I don't rock big dogs. Poodles are cute but I don't rock small dogs either. So I chose a Shiba Inu. Did I say she's so cute? She's so adorable. I had to name her but since I was a recent cat-owner (our last cat died) and loved to yoler, "Mimingggg!" when feeding neighborhood cats (yep, our street has a communal ownership of a litter of cats), I decided to call my puppy, Mimi.

I fed her with (virtual) store-bought dog food, bottled water and dog biscuits and jerky for treats whenever she's hungry or thirsty (but often she becomes famished and parched). I took her for a walk in the virtual town where she gets to meet up with other virtual puppies and I get to hear (actually read) the praises and comments of unseen owners. I gave Mimi a bath whenever her appearance reaches the level of filthy (with fleas flying off her) to make her beautiful (where her fur actually sparkles). I taught her tricks like sit, shake (paws), roll-over, lie down, and jump. For know this is all she knew because she could get so stubborn sometimes. We even get to train for competitions such as disc-throwing and agility contests with obstacles and trails...

Okay, by now, you know I'm such a Nintendogs junkie but I can't help it.  For someone as pet-less as I am, life can get pretty lonely and boring without a fuzzy animal beside me. Mimi is so much fun, but can never ever compare to the warmth and cuddle-libility of my real life pets (Fatchoy, Hermie, I miss you guys!) Nothing compares to the purring fur ball at your heels and the meows at the doorstep. Nothing compares to the wagging tails the moment you step your yard from school. Nothing compares to the "wild-dog chases" and the feather-in-the-kitty-ears play. Nothing compares to the creatures begging for your love and attention (and their next meal). I hope someday, I could have another pet.

I loved my pets and they loved me back. Nothing compares to the real deal. Nothing compares to the creations of God.






No comments:

Post a Comment